Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Image from Barking Bird Art, find their shop here.



So…I’m going to get a little deep on you this week, but fear not…there’s a reason to my deepness:)

I just finished Wally Lamb’s The Hour I First Believed. Some of you have probably already read it a few years ago when it came out. I couldn't read it when it first came out. For some reason reading a book that had a link to Columbine...well, I just couldn't do. Maybe it was because I felt it was still too fresh. Anyway…flash forward to a few months ago…picked it up and put it down. Then, finally…picked it and couldn't put it down. Read it...it goes beyond Columbine...way beyond and with such class:)

In reading this book I kept thinking about the parents of these kids. Bottom line…they were somebody’s babies. The Hubster and I constantly daydream of what the boy wonder will be. Architect? Musician? Artist? Chef? Space Cowboy???? As I’m sure every mama and papa does…you think…as long as they’re happy and making an honest living.

Being the great stumbler that I am starting to become, I stumbled upon a website, literally, the day after I closed the book. I’m not a crazy nut job thinking…”oooh this was destined to happen…the gods are reaching out to me and I have been the chosen one to deliver the message to the masses!” No…that’s not me. I just happen to think it’s incredibly interesting and would love it if my boy wonder got to do this when he starts school (I have a few years…but the thought of him going to school just made me take an extra breath).

The David Lynch Foundation. Yes…the Twin Peaks guy. The David Lynch Foundation is geared for getting all schools into transcendental meditation. A meditation that he has practiced for over 30 years, along with millions of other people from all races, religions and walks of life. Basically…every student who wants to participate gets one period a day of “diving within” ones self….a nice ohm period of relaxing, de-stressing, and personal quiet time so they can re-group. If you go to the foundation’s website…you can hear testimonies from tons of kids where these meditation classes take place and you can see how excited they are to talk about it and how proud they are of how their test scores have improved, their social skills, their confidence (who doesn't need more of that when you’re young…remember??) and how the school & surrounding communities have benefited from the integration of the meditation.

I can not help but flash forward to a time when my babe goes to school. The Hubster and I have countless conversations on how we are going to handle certain “situations” when they arise (I get social skills and manners…he gets puberty:). Believe me…I am by no means a new ager (no patchouli oil here!)…but will do and try anything if it will make for a happier, healthier, better adjusted being that will give back to the world and make his mark.

“Individual peace is the unit of world peace”-David Lynch.

This from the guy who made Blue Velvet?

Now the real question is…which came first…meditation or Eraserhead??

Find more information on David Lynch's Foundation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment