Thursday, April 16, 2009

From The Desk of A.J. - Goorin Bro Hats



So being that it was my son’s first ever Easter…I was completely fixated on having him wear just the perfect outfit. I’m talking about the cool, tough, rockin’ kick ass boy outfit…with a hat. I found an “it’ll do” outfit…because as The Hubster says…”the boy makes the outfit…the outfit doesn’t make the boy” (his code for…we are not hitting every children’s store in SoCal just to find what will end up being jeans and a shirt for triple the price) and we went on our merry way to his first ever Easter egg hunt. It was a fantastic day and yes…he sported his tie and hat and looked like a Little Rascal…and mama was happy:)

I have a thing for hats (fondess memory of my Grandpa was him wearing his Fedora everyday rolling is own cigarettes in his garden…later in my life he smoked a pipe…but always had his fedora on…always:))…actually all things nostalgic that I fear are being lost…or replaced by something new and tech-ie. Stationary…with that the art of a letter. Typewriters…not necessarily the actual thing…but the sound…I loved that sound (I remember sitting in my grandmothers guestroom and playing on the typewriter for what it seemed like hours). Albums…again, with that the music store I talked about earlier. Anyway…the list can go on and on. I am a flea market, antique store junkie…I can spend hours upon hours in or at them and am happy as a clam. So the hat thing…started buying them at the vintage shops flea markets etc…along with purses and some jewelry many moons ago…and I can’t help but think that one day these things that we have lost or replaced somehow will return. Me wanting my boy to wear a hat and tie on Easter Sunday is an example of how I want to bring these said things back (Although I am known for wanting to bring back a lot of things…like the saying “drats”…how great is that word?). And I passionately screamed out loud after a really great movie “Let’s bring back the clap!” which left my sister and Bro in law sunk in their seats (dirty birds). Luckily, for me, some other people want to bring some things back as well….

Goorin Brothers Hat Makers. You may or may not have heard of them. They have been around since oh I don’t know… 1895! They are bringing back the HAT!!!! As I was searching through this World Wide Web for the perfect Easter hat I stumbled upon the fact that now…they make children’s hats. Maybe they always have…but I’ve only had a child for 8 ½ months so this is all new to me. Anyway…I love their hats…for me and my babe. It’s a family company that is now…however many generations later… committed to preserving the art of hat making and style. They combine classic styles with an edgy twist…for both adults and children. Not to mention the names they give…The “Potsie” the “Darla” and don’t forget the “Bonaduce Jr.” if you can’t appreciate these names…you just made me feel old. They have fantastic stylish hats for all ages.

So…order online (they have great sales) or check out which stores carry their goods…and if your in LA or San Fran…you can check out their shops live in person

“Wear a Goorin hat and you can tell your story without ever having to say a word.” –Goorin Brothers.

Sounds like it was written on a typewriter doesn’t it?

Find Goorin hats here.

No comments:

Post a Comment