Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Book Crush - Dog Food


One of my favorite things about the library is that chance to make a random discovery. Because I don't have any restrictions on what or how many books my kids can get (well, I have to be able to lift the bag!) they often stumble across really amazing books we might not have found otherwise. Last time we went to the library my three year old pulled this book off the shelf and threw it in our bag. I tend to gravitate towards books with a good story, so I didn't really think much of it at the time, but over the weeks we've had it, its become an instant hit in our house. Both kids have it memorized (a benchmark for any "good" book in our house is how fast it gets memorized), and my daughter "reads" it to my son every night.
Dog Food uses pictures of vegetables and fruits sculpted to look like pups along with common doggy phrases ("sick as a dog," "dog eat dog," etc.) The visual puns make us adults laugh and the clever use of the produce is fascinating. We loved going through and trying to identify all the veggies (could be a great inducement to try new food too!). Its somewhat rare to find a book that is so perfect for my beginning reader and my little one to read together (without adults even!). We can't wait to get another book by Saxton Freymann (we've set our sites on "How Are You Peelin'?").

Find Dog Food here!

No comments:

Post a Comment