Wednesday, January 13, 2010

From the Desk of A.J. - Give a Day, Get a Day


It’s a New Year, which means new commitments (not saying the “R” word here…’cause I don’t stick to them and I hate labels…well, except for the pretty clothing ones;).

So…with these new commitments…I always add to them the high hopes of making myself a better person at the end of it all. I think that’s safe to say…and a nice way of saying…I’m getting older and wiser:)

I know, living is SoCal, we are getting the daily reminders of the fantastic new volunteer incentive that the Disneyland bunch are throwing our way. Their tag line this year (last year it was get in free on your b-day…which is brilliant…’cause who goes to D-land by themselves???), is give a day…get a day.

So…being the net surfer that I have become in my gulp, make that double gulp, late thirties…I had to check out the site and see how they are going to get thousands of peeps to get off their booties and volunteer their time.

Clicked a simple link off of the main Disneyland site, entered my zip, and there I had it…1,242 options to volunteer…all in SoCal.

I always want to volunteer…its one of those things that has been on my “commitment” list every year since I volunteered back in school. I love the feeling of volunteering. Heck I love the feeling when I donate a really great bag of unused too small for me, tag still on the label bag of clothes. I can’t imagine what it would feel like if I actually got to do something on a regular basis and integrated it into my life and my family’s lives. That being said…I am committing right now to take Mickey’s offer…and not just for the free pass (uhm…I’m an annual passholder…as many of us around here are;). I found tons of programs I want to do. Shelters for women and children, Working Wardrobes (hey…I love to shop and what a great way turn my habit into something needed!), Boys and Girls Clubs, beach clean up, after school programs…you name it…its on their site. Disney makes its super easy too…just fill out an inquiry; the organization will get back to you within 5 days and you will go from there. Did I mention you can filter your search and pull up organizations that are kid friendly too? As in…you can take your kids (if they are old enough…I don’t see the boy wonder hanging out in an office helping me put together outfits…hey but maybe the food bank…hummmm).

So…2010…I tack another thing to do on my to do list. A long list of life’s to do’s counts for a full one. An hour here…and hour there…those hours add up...and with that…the good deeds will get done. It’s a small world after all (sorry…it was screaming at me to write it!).

Find more information here.

No comments:

Post a Comment