Thursday, June 25, 2009

First Birthday Gifts


I've got a couple first birthday's coming up (what's up Baby A.J.) and was recently asked by a friend for some suggestions for a first birthday party she's going to, so I thought I'd pass along my suggestions culled from my own two first birthday babies and what they really enjoyed.

In no particular order they are:

  1. The "That's Not My..." book series by Usborne Touchy Feely - My kids loved the different textures and I loved the repetitive and quick read. At almost three and almost five they still pull these books out, and "read" them to me now. And with over twenty different books you're sure to find one that will interest your little yearling. Find them here.
  2. The Wheely Ride-On Bug!! - oh how we love the Wheely. We actually bought a couple ride on toys for our youngest who wanted to keep up with big brother on his trike. But most traditional ride on toys would catch her back heel once she went any faster than a crawl. And our girl wanted to move (she took four steps the day she turned nine months, the girl had places to be)! She got the Wheely Ladybug for her first birthday and never looked back. The furniture caster wheels allow for a freedom of motion you can't get in other ride on toys, and allow for better control since your rider doesn't have to worry about running over their own toes. I'm saving this one for my grandkids I love it that much (and it still looks good enough to do that). It also comes in a ladybug, tiger, mouse and cow. Did I mention we love this thing? Find it here.
  3. Plan Toys Xylophone and Punch and Drop - I've never met a baby who didn't like to bang. And bang. And bang some more. Nap. And then bang. Plan Toys makes the best eco-friendly, classic toys. And (scout's honor) this xylophone is the least annoying xylophone ever made. The wood gives it a mellow, pleasant sound, something akin to bamboo wind chime. The Punch and Drop is a great cause and effect toy, endlessly entertaining. Find them here or here.
  4. Duck Pull Toy from Haba - Any pull toy is great, but I found the heavier wooden ones are easier to pull and don't topple like plastic or fabric ones. This one does a little waddle that still makes me giggle. Find it here at Oompa (which is a great site for unique toys!).
  5. Eeboo Tot Tower - Stack 'em up, watch your bean gleefully knock 'em down. Stack 'em up, watch your bean gleefully knock 'em down. And repeat. Later they'll gleefully kick it down. Then they'll stack them by themselves, then cry when brother knocks it down and finally they will create elaborate ramps and cityscapes for their cars and princesses. Endless fun for years. Find them here.
  6. Mello the Monster by gush4plush - For the most part, I would stay away from plush. More than likely the kid's already got a bursting menagerie of plush. People (myself included) can not stop themselves. But I make an exception for the handmade and unique. This squishy guy is just a tiny example of the bajillions of awesome stuff being sold by independent toy and plush makers, selling their wares at craft shows and online. Check out etsy.com or poppytalkhandmade.com. Find Mello here.
What about you? Do you have any suggestions for a first birthday party? What did your kids love at that age? I need 'em since I just gave out all my ideas. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment