Wednesday, November 11, 2009

From the Desk of A.J. - Happy Birthday Sesame Street!


One of the things that I enjoy most about being a mama is introducing things and experiences that I loved as a kid to my little dude. I watch his face and wait for the expression or noise that will let me know he loves it too.

The boy wonder is just about to turn 16 months and we are just starting to watch TV. Not a lot…but he knows what it is and if I let him…I think he would have it on all day long. This is tough for me….because T.V. is like my crack. So…I turn it off and thank the powers that be for DVR.

The first and only show that I was excited to sit down with him & watch was and still is Sesame Street. Of course you all say. Every morning, we wake up…get dressed….head downstairs. I pour my coffee (uh…first things first…am I right?), pour his milk, we have our breakfast…then sit down and watch who and what is happening on “The Street”.

I love that he loves it…scares me how quickly he became obsessed with Elmo (that little dude must have some sort of Jedi mind tricks…how does he hook those babes soooo fast?). Watching Sesame Street as an adult…I have a new appreciation for it. The artistic value (uhm…every sort of medium is used in, like, every single show…amazing)…the music, the morals…all of it. I am happy to say…I am a born again sesame-er…and loving it.

This week…the whole gang celebrates its 40th anniversary. New shows started this week (thank goodness…as much I love it…I was soooooo ready for some new letters and numbers:). I logged onto the website (I know…first Diet Coke…now Sesame Street)…and I was not disappointed. It’s amazing of course. Free games, videos, songs, coloring pages to print off of your ‘puter…goods to buy (which all of the proceeds go directly back to the Sesame Workshop) parenting tips ( “Are You Ready To Potty?”)…& ways you can give back to the Workshop (‘cause these muppets give and give and give to millions of children around the world).

For one hour a day…we watch together. He and his sippy cup…me and my coffee cup, with Muppets of 40 years and other mamas and babes in over 140 countries. That is one big block party:)

Find Sesame Street here. (hey, I just told you how to get to Sesame Street!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment