Wednesday, October 14, 2009

From the Desk of A.J. - MobMov Drive-In Movies

Photo by Friendly Made, buy here.

One of my fav childhood memories involves one of my loves of today. I’m sure that’s where it all began….

I am a movie lover through and through. I love all kinds. Bad and good, scary and funny, dark and light, comedy, drama, dramedy, bromance, buddy, quirky, documentaries, sci-fi, large corporate conglomerates to small little indies:) Did I leave anyone out??? I know…horror (I still cover my eyes if I choose to see one…I’m a big ol scaredy cat) and a ton more…but I need to get to my point.

When I was young…I distinctly remember taking an early bath…getting into my cozy Pj’s, grabbing my pillow and heading out to our car. The sun was beginning to set and I knew…it was date night. Date night you ask? Yep…me, little sis, and my parents were off to a night at the drive in.

Now, being a mama…I can’t wait to have date night with the boy wonder and the Hubster. We have our “couples” date night…but when junior gets old enough to stay out a little later than sunset…that’s when the fun will begin and the drive in will be perfect. Oh wait. There's something missing. Uhmm...oh yeah...NO DRIVE INS!!!!

MobMov- started in 2005 by drive in lovers who wanted to bring back the long lost date night venue of the past. All you have to do is visit their website and sign up for a chapter in whatever city you live in or want to be a part of (my city has 472 members…who knew???)…and what’s great…if your city is not listed…you can start a chapter. Yep…you would be the “lead driver” meaning you would "produce" the thing, pick the movie, find the old abandoned warehouse wall to show it on and have the equipment to do so. But what’s sooooo great…the website has a whole tutorial link in how to do all of that…even make some moolah while your doing it (“let’s go down to the lobby, to get ourselves a snack”). All super cool…and sooooo super fun. Depending on what your chapter is into (they’ll email you about 2 weeks ahead of time the where’s and what’s its)…how fun does this sound?

Bringing date night to a whole new…well…re-visited level. I love, love, love, the idea of having a family film festival…or seeing some scary thrillers right now to rev me up for Halloween and I’m always in the mood for a black and white…old school style.

I just remembered sitting in the back seat of my parent’s car (or maybe it was my aunt’s truck?), anyway…seeing Jaws (or maybe it was Herbie the Love bug?)…but I kept trying to sneak a peek at The Blue Lagoon playing behind us…I knew those kids were up to something on that screen:)

Find more information and sign up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment