Wednesday, May 6, 2009

From the Desk of A.J. - Get Some Sleep!


As I begin to approach my first ever Mother’s day with a babe outside of my belly(last year I milked being preggers…as I believe all mama’s to be should:), I can not help but think about these last 9 ½ months.

They have been scary, funny, stressful, exciting, educational, rewarding, amazing, expensive ( that one is for you Hubster), and of course tiresome. This last one deserves another go…tiresome…did I say tiresome?

Anyway…being new to this adventure of mommy-dom…I had heard just how tired you get of picking up toys, cleaning, laundry, crying, diaper changing, bottle washing, and not to mention the lack of sleep. With all of these things listed above…the lack of sleep is what makes you so tired of these said things. I started to notice…within the first few weeks of being home with our little man…when I didn’t get enough sleep…I started to turn into a different person. I was already making the “transition” of married working wife to “mommy” which in my mind…was already a whirlwind…but doing all of these things without sleep…that’s when my head would spin and The Hubster knew to play nicey nice with the crazy new mama bear he shared his home with.

I can honestly say that getting my sleep is what saved me from crashing and burning. I felt like I could take on the day with a newborn and have the patience and willingness to tackle whatever would come (as we all know…its different everyday…those little buggers switch it up on you…and I think on purpose so that we always know who’s the boss of who). After some sleep…I knew who I was again and what I was meant to do with that little bundle (or for us…big bundle…the little dude was 10 lbs for Pete’s sake!) at least…for the time being.

Ok…here’s the point of my story. I was given the BEST baby gift ever by a friend that in our circle we call her the “Baby Whisperer” (said in a soft whisper-ey way). Why? Because she was one of the first of us to have a baby and she has been through it all before us. Our sweet boy was about 2 weeks old and she came to our house to meet him…and with her was, what we call, “The Book”. It’s the absolute best children’s book for adults you’ll ever read. “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child” by Dr. Marc Weissbluth, M.D. This man…is our GOD!

Basically…children need more sleep than most people think. They need their naps…and not in a moving car or swing…they need their peace and quite…and they need many many more hours than we adults do. The thought behind this book is…sleep begets sleep and live your life around your baby’s schedule …not the other way around. You chose to have this baby…now you’ve got to pay the piper:)

I am so proud to say…our big boy has slept 12 hour nights from the time he was 3 ½ months old. Yep…you heard me. He takes two 2 hour naps a day. He is the most happy, alert, well behaved baby (I know…mama’s bragging…but I give the book all props!!!). The Hubster and I get compliments in restaurants…markets…everywhere on how good he is. I know…he’s just 9 ½ months and things may and will change as he grows…but it’s a great start. He’s happy, Papa’s happy, and I’m happy because we are a well rested family.

So…this Mama’s day…give yourself a gift…the gift of sleep (and if you have an older babe…no worries…there’s still time!!!)…the best gift I have ever received (Thanks Mel!).


Happy Mama's Day!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more with AJ. Simple little book well not so little.... but still the best book a mother and father, yes Father can read. I agree with AJ not because she is my wife, "haha really not because of this" it is the best book you can own, our Big Boy is happy and the most beautiful baby in the world.... Papa has a right to brag... :) he looks like my wife.. and that makes him beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete