Tuesday, May 19, 2009

From the Desk of A.J. - Dirty Pretty Things


Being an ex all black wearing (although it still gets a lot of air time due to it being the most flattering color in the spectrum), vamp lipsticked (& nail!), silver rings on every finger…bracelets, and LARGE earring gal (it was the late 80’s early 90’s come on), I will always and forever have a soft spot for the good vs. evil, halos vs. horns, dirty vs. pretty, artsy vs. trashy… in all things.

All of that came back to me this weekend when I met the cutest gal who is an amazing artist at the Patchwork show. Patchwork is an amazing little fair for artisans of all walks of life. Notice how I am trying not to use the word “Craft Fair”…because when I think of craft fairs…I think of silk flowers with raffia ribbons and lots of wooden hearts and geese. This is not your average craft fair. Its all organic goods…hand wrought…through the eyes of artist…real artists…who want to provide goods for the better of the planet.

Back to the cute gal. Patricia Lucas a.k.a. “Raven”. Her past…owned her own clothing line, has dressed some major celebs, and had her art hung in the Smithsonian Museum when she was just 17 (I don’t know about you but when I was 17 I was buying Wet N’ Wild black nail polish at the drugstore and hoping to get a pair of Doc Martins for my b-day…and that was it).

Now she’s married (to an artist of course) and owns her online shop called VeryDirtyPrettyThings.com. See…even her business name screams “COME BUY MY GOODS AJ!!!! Anyway, she makes it all. Beautiful yummy scented soy candles, adorable magnets…and a lovely line of cards & prints. The cards (which if I haven’t mentioned…I have a thing for all things made a la pape. I LOVE paper. Stationary, journals, wrapping paper-you name it…I’m a fan), can be bought with any of her prints on them or you can have them customized. My favs…the silhouettes. They are the old school silhouettes of a child’s face (remember those?…I think I got mine done at Knott’s Berry Farm back in 1978!), but with devil horns or halos. The babe’s name can be put on the bottom of her original silhouette…or she can do a customized one with your child’s face. I know…too cool for school.

I saw lots of goodies at the fair…but fell in love with this line. Going on her Etsy store this morning and I want to buy tons of soy candles…cards with my sweet boy’s devil horns, and her original art print that has a gal with sewing needles in her blue hair that says “I will know when I get there”. I think she’s an ex vamp wearer too:)

Find Dirty Pretty Things here.


No comments:

Post a Comment