Monday, March 30, 2009

Little People Art



I recently stumbled upon a painting that I immediately recognized as a print that had hung in my room when I was little. It was like smelling a familiar smell, I was hit with this feeling of warmth and nostalgia, and the intensity of it really struck me. I can't remember there being anything significant about this print, it wasn't even a particularly great piece of art. It was just a baby in a blanket. It just happened to be in my room for most of my life. You will often hear people talk about a favorite toy, or book or movie, but rarely will people mention a piece of art in the same context, "Oh, I used to love that piece when I was little" but I bet if you stopped to think about it, there is probably an image buried deep in your head. And why not? Its probably the last thing you saw as you drifted off to sleep, the first thing as you awoke, and probably followed you to whatever room you moved into, whether it be in a new house or just the next bedroom over, for a significant portion of your life.

So now that you're thinking your kids are going to remember this for the rest of their lives, what are you going to put up? No pressure or anything. ;) If you don't want to go all Dora your mainstream options are pretty limited, but on Etsy you can find a plethora of options (so many in fact that this post was days in the making, just narrowing it down was almost impossible). Here's a few of my favs, and I'll be sure to share some more later on.

If I had a dedicated play room I would love to plaster it with these posters by John W. Golden. There are like twenty different versions. The No Monster's Allowed is my absolute fave. Find these here.



I think these would be a super sweet starting point for decorating a nursery, boy or girl. I love the color combos, and who doesn't love an owl?



The owl prints and the following prints are at yumiyumi, and yeah, basically I could just plaster my house is pretty much everything she makes (there are some more "grown up" prints that I'm dying to have!). I love that the alphabet and numbers in the prints are backwards and on top of each other, its just how toddlers and preschoolers see their numbers and letters. Yumiyumi store can be found here.




And finally, these never fail to make me giggle. I found these prints a long time ago, and seriously have not bought any because I can not make a decision. I thought, oh I'll get four and hang them in a grid together. But I can't do it. For reals, I can not narrow it down to four. I would love to have a very very serious grown up library with these prints in very formal frames. A cheetah with a monocle?! A panda with a pipe?! Come on! Find them here.



Now I'm going to go back and look at the twenty plus animals and torture myself some more. Maybe I just need a whole wall...

*"Life Is But a Dream" print at Nella Designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment