Tuesday, March 24, 2009

From the Desk of A.J.



So my birthday is just around the corner (I'm turning 37... or flirty-seven as I'd like to call this one) and I am remembering my best gifts of birthdays past.

A couple of years ago I received one of my most favorite gifts from my previous boss lady. I came home to a large box (everybody knows... any box arriving at your doorstep... small or large, whether you purchased it or it's a surprise is an excitement all in its own) and when I opened it I began to salivate. It was a case of wine (insert ahhhhhh here). I carefully took out each bottle and slapped my husband's hand away as he tried to grab the bottles himself. A beautiful array of shades. . . and bottles. . . and labels. . . all in French!!!!

I became a wine drinker in my late 20's . . . said no to White Zinfandel right off the bat . . .started with the whites. . . but immediately moved on to the reds. Cab-Savs, Merlots, Syrahs, the usual. In my early thirties I started to develop a taste for wine and now in my mid thirties? . . .a love. I am no means a connoisseur, but I am well on my way. . . in no lush sort of way. :)

This beautiful case of wine was sent to me from an amazing wine shop located in Berkeley, California. The owner is Kermit Lynch and he opened up his wine shop in 1972 (funny, the same year I was born! See, I was meant to drink this wine) He lives half of his time in France, the other half in the bay area. This man knows wine. He's received several awards and has made his passion his work. He has a great staff that will shop with you over the phone and sends out monthly newsletters that showcase their new arrivals, bottle and case specials, all with explanations on his thoughts behind his purchases with great little tales and added taste notes (BTW he's a writer to boot and has a few books on wine . . .must reads for wine lovers). What's even more fantastic is that Kermit Lynch offers great wine, no matter what the price is. You can easily purchase a $14 bottle of wine and have it be the perfect compliment to your dinner, an $80 bottle as the perfect gift, or you can purchase a 6 bottle sampler set for $200 for that cheese and wine party you've been wanting to have. And if they're having a sale, even better! I learned a long time ago that a hefty price doesn't always mean a great bottle and Kermit Lynch carries a wide range, for every one's buds and wallets.

I did a lot of traveling in the Bay Area for work and when I had time I would stop in to Kermit Lynch and take a tour of his goods. Now I get these fabulous newsletters and can hardly wait until my bottles arrive at my door. Check out his shop if your in Berkeley, or go to his website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment